Wednesday, October 26, 2022

What lengths am I willing to go in order to do right by every child?

 One thing that I will find very important in my classroom is that treat everyone how they want to be treated; I will teach my students the golden rule and make sure they go by it. Bullying will not be allowed in my classroom; if I see it happen, I will confront my children and give them a warning; if it keeps happening, I will send them to the office so their parents can be called. To ensure I am doing right by my children, I will ensure I am very knowledgeable in the topic I will be teaching and make sure my children are learning correctly. I want to be sure I am treating every student equally. I will make sure everyone is treated the same and will be treated as if. I will teach my students the goals that should be made in the classroom. If students end up being bad they will be warned the first time and then punished. I want to ensure my children also have fun, so I will make activities fun but also teach my kids. I will make sure I am always in a good mood and optimistic about teaching because I want to enjoy my job and enjoy teaching my kids so my children will also enjoy school. I will also ensure my students know they can always come to me for help or questions. Every student should know they are not alone, and I'm always here to help them every step of the way. I will also help my student's parents if they need help or need advice or with any questions they have because it is important to keep students parents in the loop. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katelin,
    I think the golden rule is definitely a starting point. I also agree that teaching begins with us and learning what my biases or things I need to work on is important. I think handling bullying is hard but I would hope that having a conversation with the students and giving them an opportunity to correct their behavior would be my hope. Though that may be an idealistic perspective on that situation. Creating a supportive, non-judgmental classroom is good so students feel they can communicate issues or confide in you. I think also setting a standard of what you mean by "bad" at the beginning of the school year would be helpful. I know that warnings are a good start, but also helping children understand why the rules are in place and set expectations. Also trying respectful redirection and positive reinforcement to instill a better learning environment when students are acting out. I think communication is key here. Communicating boundaries, expectations, what is not tolerated, and how to be culturally sensitive and what that means is how I would go about this. I know students who feel supported and mentored and cared about they feel safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kate,
    I love that you are so passionate about preventing bullying. I totally agree with what you said. It is also important for educators to be there for every single student. to expand on your post It is also crucial for students to trust their teachers. This is especially important as teachers can not see everything all at once. If your students trust you though they will be able to come tell you when they are being picked on or feel unsafe.

    ReplyDelete

What does money really have to do with it?

 With schools, it costs money, especially with small classes. Money helps schools with teacher salaries, support, books, supplies, food, and...