Wednesday, October 19, 2022

How does gender affect the teaching profession?

Gender can affect the teaching profession because if you create a bias in the classroom, students will accept or even create their own literacy experiences. It is important to have gender awareness, you can help children explore who they are and help them gain their own self-confidence, and peer acceptance. If you have a bias it can have a negative impact on the students education goals, and it also affects economic growth. If students start dealing with inequality they will start believing that it is normal, so they will bring that into society. You have to make sure you do not seperate the male and female students. Do not allow male students to interrup female students when they are speaking. You can also make them work together. You have to avoid stereotypes and make sure you are being inclusive. It is important to do all of this because you do not want to create an environment that makes either gender uncomfy. If you do not do this this can create bullying, stereotyping, and even can create inequality between the students. This might even cause some students to not enjoy school, they might stop engaging in classwork or start to get depressed. It is important to make all your students feel equal, you should treat the students the same no matter what and this will cause the classroom to be an equal chance to learn for both genders. If you do see some students not listening, you should talk privately with them and explain that it is not allowed in your classroom.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Katelin,
    I enjoyed reading your post. You mentioned great talking points that we all need to be aware of as future teachers. I liked how you mentioned being “inclusive” with your students to avoid stereotypes. It is important that teachers create an inclusive environment for the students because it provides children the opportunity to learn and allows them to bring their unique contributions to the classroom. I agree when you say “all students should be treated equal” This is extremely important, because when students experience unfair treatment it will impact their learning and the students may suffer lasting effects. Your post was very interesting to read! and addresses on how future teachers can create a community of trust where all students from all backgrounds and identities feel safe to speak up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katelin,
    I think you make really great points here and completely agree with you. I currently work at a preschool, and even there I have seen some kids have already started inheriting some gender stereotypes from their home environments. One time a boy wore a skirt and some other boys were making fun of him saying he was a boy and couldn't wear skirts. At three! That was a big moment for me. It showed me that as teachers we need to take every possible action to help prevent this kind of stereotyping and help the next generation be better. I love how you pointed out different ways to help prevent some of these behaviors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katelin, I really enjoyed your BLOG because you made some really interesting points that I hadn't even considered when thinking about this topic. One of which being how gender inequality can impact a student's future and confidence in the long run. I especially liked how you mentioned that we should not let a male student speak over a female student and vice versa because it can cause intimidation. If this behavior is not stopped and allowed to happen, then the girls at such a young age will see that there is nothing wrong with it and as they grow up this is normal and "okay" for men to do especially in the workplace. Not only does this go for females but males also leading to bullying, stereotypes, etc. Lastly, I admired that you provided solutions to the problems mentioned above to avoid the consequences of these situations and prevent any lack of confidence in the student.

    ReplyDelete

What does money really have to do with it?

 With schools, it costs money, especially with small classes. Money helps schools with teacher salaries, support, books, supplies, food, and...