In my own opinion I feel that school is not equitable. Equitable means fair and equal. Without having a equitable school students will trust their school less. One example of this is that school makes grades and marks very important. Children might feel pressured on making good grades, they might be struggling with a certain topic or class. Schools make it seem like they do not care for the students passions and ambitions, most classes do not cover all careers. Such as some kids want to be doctors, engineers, and ect. But there are not many classes that can cover other passions as example, art classes are seen as a extra curricular. Schools tend to have dress codes, which means they have to cut their hair, have to wear a uniform, and most schools do not allow eletrionic devices. Schools should make students passions more important and make students passion for school better. If students are passionate about their school and classes they will be more likely to succeed or make good grades. Also with disapline, it can create difiance with students. Some students might be targeted more than the other students which is not fair at all. To make schools fair they must make sure marginalized students are treated equally and getting the support they need. To make school fair also you must understand, have fairness, and have humanity. It is important to make an environment that avoids divisiveness and tackles racism and all other forms of intolerance, which you can do with fairness.
Hi Katelin,
ReplyDeleteI liked your blog post, and I feel you shared a lot of valuable ideas! I agree that there are many aspects of the school system that can present difficulties in making education equitable for students. I like how you mentioned that the educational system in place now puts too much stress on the importance of good grades/scores. I feel this can be unfair to students who have unique learning styles and qualities that require a different approach in supporting their success. And I agree that schools should allow for more creativity and support in exploring careers for students that may not be typical, or just different from their peers. I hope that in the future schools are given more resources to support all student needs, and teachers are more equipped to facilitate and assist young minds in their inquiry. Reading your post and our peers' blogs, give me reassurance that future educators are recognize, and put in the work needed to create stronger, more positive learning environments!